Monday, January 28, 2013

Best New Series: The Fairwick Chronicles

The Water Witch (Fairwick Chronicles, #2)The Water Witch by Carol Goodman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


When I saw that the second installment of the Fairwick Chronicles was available on netgalley.com


 photo tumblr_m5lgi9qMdw1ruk76no1_500_zpsc760468a.gif


Can I just say again how happy I am that I have a reliable source for the genre that is romance, paranormal stuff, and mystery? Can I? I am! Thank you, Goodman. You are now in line just below Jennifer Lawrence as candidate for my new bestie.


 photo tumblr_inline_mghn78662E1rwcy4q_zpsa68f6bb7.gif


Maybe not?

The first book, The Demon Lover, introduces us to Callie McFay, an assistant professor of literature at Fairwick College. Callie is the owner of Honeysuckle House, part fairy, part witch, and a doorkeeper. All that in addition to a pesky incubus, and an evil grandmother, make The Water Witch a compelling story and romance.

As with The Demon Lover the pace is fast, but mixed with layered characters, making it longer, more satisfying read. Uh, hem.

You know, speaking of longer and more satisfying, can we talk about Liam, Callie's incubus for a moment? I really like him.



 photo tumblr_mafd70tmE01qjslnn_zps2d1ef560.gif


Unlike some books from the same genre, Goodman's secondary characters are often just as interesting as her primary characters. There's a fantastic dynamic between Callie, the town, and the college that's just entertaining. Goodman writes likable characters facing real world problems with a paranormal slant.

Goodman's plots, like her characters, are many and multifaceted. Callie must try to come to grips with her feelings for her incubus, Liam, learn witch craft, and try to keep the door to faerie open.

I am truly enjoying this series. I got nothing done; the kids ate chicken nuggets and had to find their own clothes, but I regret nothing.



 photo iregretnothing_zpsa0723fd2.gif


I hope you pick up this series and give it a try.

ARC provided my Netgalley.com and Ebury Press





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment