Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Gone GirlGone Girl by Gillian Flynn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Naughty Nicky: Why Gone Girl Should be on your Summer Read List

Gone Girl is the definition of thriller. It is smart and well crafted. But there are a lot of books that fit this definition, so why should you read this particular thriller?

Okay, first let me get this out of the way. I am 34, so I was all over Nick's character. I got him. Sure, a lot of the time I wanted to slap him upside the head, but really, I couldn't blame him. Nick is smart. Nick is dumb. Nick is screwed.

The novel shuffles between Nick's present and Amy's diary, with Amy slowly catching up to the present.

Nick's present keeps the action going. This day is also known as the first day gone, also known as Nick and Amy's 5 year anniversary. Happy anniversary!

Amy's diary is the beating heart of the thriller. The unknown. She tells us about her life with Nick from the beginning to the end. It is interesting to say the least, and casts horrible suspicion towards Nick.

The story is a very Scott Peterson, Nancy Grace train wreck. If you don't remember Mr. Peterson, he was the beautiful man who murdered his pregnant wife. Such a gentleman.

I loved Flynn's casual writing for Amy's character. Amy is a trust fund, only child, prep school, New York nightmare. Though we are supposed to like Amy, I kept getting the feeling that she was really quite terrible. Flynn's ability to give you just enough is pure art.

Flynn feeds the reader kibbles through the story followed by horrible revelations. It makes for a fantastic ride.


I did not give the book five stars because I felt that the end was not as well crafted as the first 3/4 of the book. Without spoiling the ending, I would just say that things are said by characters that are damning, and nothing comes of it. It's a frustrating conclusion, but not a total miss. Not everyone is snowed, but it's enough to leave me frustrated.

Gone Girl is wicked good.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment